For the Harry Potter fan in your life, we have a magical party blueprint that is sure to make your little (or big) wizard spellbound. We have décor ideas to transform any space into a Hogwarts look-a-like and food ideas that are both iconic and simple enough for any muggle to pull together.
With a giant selection of Harry Potter party supplies to choose from the whole party will come together as easy as a flick of the wand. Do we even have to suggest making it a costume party? Halloween or not, this is one party theme the looks best when everyone comes dressed according to the Hogwart’s dress code.
The Acceptance Letter- Harry Potter Party Invitations
Cast a spell on your guest “students” from the very start by sending these Wizard Personalized Invitations. We added faux wax seals to the envelopes for even more charm (TIP: Melt red crayons until pliable and shape into a “seal”. While still warm, use a pen or pencil to etch a monogram).
Harry Potter Party Decorations
Greet “students” with a bewitching display of enchanting details such as:
- A Sorting Hat set atop stacked trunks.
- A sign reminding everyone to check their Quidditch Brooms before entering the party area.
- Potions bottles, feather “quills” and a framed Fat Lady portrait.
The Great Hall
Mimic the grandeur of the Great Hall with these fantastical décor ideas:
- Wood tables and benches.
- Battery operated candles hanging from fishing line.
- Skeleton keys adorned with vellum wings and flying overhead via fishing line.
- House Flag Standards. We took Hogwarts House Flags– Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin– and pinned coordinating fabric to the bottoms. Next, we wired them to gold painted PVC pipe lengths and pounded the PVC pipe into the ground. To keep the fabric from flopping around we gathered it at the bottom of the pipe and secured it with black duct tape.
- Layer Harry Potter 7” Cake Plates on top of 10” Black Plastic Plates. Set these off with gold chargers underneath.
- Use the ties from this Harry Potter Photo Prop Set as place cards.
- Gift guests their own pair of Harry Potter Glasses and Wand by placing them at each “students” seat.
- A caged Harry Potter Feathered Owl sitting atop hard-bound Harry Potter books makes for a fun and simple centerpiece.
- Gold spray paint has transformative powers. This Foam Sword went from children’s costume accessory to the Sword of Gryffindor in a few quick passes.
The Feast- Harry Potter Party Food Ideas
With a flick and swish of a wand, simple grocery store fare can be transfigured into a glorious feast:
- Serve “butter beer”, aka cream soda topped with whipped cream, in Skull Goblets.
- Apple juice mixed with pumpkin puree and various spices is an easy version of the infamous “Pumpkin Juice”.
- Pre-packaged mashed potatoes, rotisserie chicken and steamed corn-on-the-cob are all quick and delicious savory offerings.
Sweets from the Trolley- Harry Potter Party Desserts
- “Students” will leap for chocolate frogs (TIP: Find candy molds online).
- Transform chocolate hazelnut truffles into golden snitches by adding golden wings.
- Give a nod to Harry’s special day with a birthday cake decorated ala Hagrid style.
- Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans, Jelly Slugs and Dementor Chocolate are all iconic party musts.
Quidditch Match- Harry Potter Party Activities
Both wizards and muggles will have a whizzingly good time playing Quidditch. Get the Quidditch Hoop DIY here. Encourage guests to come dressed the part. Find Quidditch brooms and equipment here. Or for more formal attire, there are plenty of Harry Potter House Robes, Ties and Wands to choose from.
The House Cup- Harry Potter Party Favors
As “students” are ready to make their return trip home on the Hogwarts Express, award them a Harry Potter Tote stuffed full of mystical trinkets and goodies such as Jelly Slugs, Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans, a Golden Snitch and Harry Potter Tattoos and Rubber Bracelets.
Save this guide to Pinterest!