Whether you just decided to host a ghoulish gathering for your friends or time simply got away, you can throw a fabulous last-minute Halloween party that’s thoughtful and appears pre-planned. Use themed decorations to give the space a sense of unity, add ghastly touches to the food, and get ready to have the best monster ball of the year.
Last-Minute Halloween Party Theme Ideas
Outdoor Howl-O-Ween Festival
If you live in an area with a mild climate and the chances of rain are slim, take the party outside. Doing so expands your entertaining space, and lets you take advantage of naturally dark settings, so you don’t have to use as many decorations. To keep guests comfortable, rent outdoor patio heaters and have plenty of chairs. Other ideas for an outdoor Halloween party include:
- Spray paint pumpkins with glow-in-the-dark paint. Place the pumpkins along outdoor stairs and pathways.
- Hollow out a large pumpkin and fill it with dry ice to keep bottled beverages cool. Guests will love the foggy effect.
- Fill the bottom of votives with popcorn kernels and before placing the tea lights.
- Use fake tombstones throughout the yard.
- String lights in trees and bushes.
Edgar Allen Poe Party
If you and your friends are literature buffs, this unique spin on an All Hallows Eve party will have your guests raving. For decoration inspirations, look to Poe’s works, like “The Raven,” “The Black Cat” and “Annabel Lee.” Use qualities from each to send shivers up your guests’ spines, such as:
- Place fake ravens throughout your home, along with other creepy props, like spiders, cobwebs and skulls.
- Dim the lights and use candles for illumination.
- Place long twigs in hurricane vases for centerpieces.
- Frame pictures of Poe and verses from his popular poems.
- Send guests home with small journals that have a raven’s silhouettes on the cover.
‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ Sing Along
If you and your guests are into cult classics, they’ll get a thrill out of a Rocky Horror Picture Show-themed dinner party and sing-along. Turn on the movie’s closed captions so everyone knows the words to the songs. With the right decorations and props, your friends will talk about the party for years to come.
- Replicate the Rocky Horror castle look with cobwebs, spiders, gargoyles and anything that shimmers or sparkles.
- Hang sheets, cheesecloth, stockings, sequined fabric, strands of pearls and tulle from walls and over furniture.
- Make or buy chocolates shaped like lips.
- Give your guests bubbles to blow (in lieu of rice), party hats and playing cards for the song “I’m Going Home” so they can act along with scenes in the movie.
- Serve meatloaf, hotdogs and prunes along with other themed party food.
Last-Minute Halloween Party Planning and Invitation Ideas
Planning a last-minute Halloween party is all about timing. Send invitations as early as possible. Once you select the perfect theme, check out the Halloween decorations that you already own and then shop for anything else you may need. Invitation ideas include:
- Send e-vites that make it simple for guests to RSVP.
- Call your guests and personally invite them.
- Make invitations on antique-looking paper. Roll each invitation into a small scroll and use black ribbon to secure them to toy rats, spiders or bats. Hand-deliver the invitations to your guests.
- Use Wholesale Party Supplies to make quick personalized invitations.
Last-Minute Halloween Party Decoration Ideas
When decorating for a last-minute Halloween party, get creative with what you already own. Then let Wholesale Party Supplies take care of the details with Halloween-themed props, accessories, decorations and tableware.
- Quickly create the look of cobwebs by draping cheesecloth over mantles, bookcases and other furniture.
- Place plastic insects and reptiles in apothecary jars and under glass cloches.
- Use black or white paper lanterns for lighting.
- Quickly dress up pumpkins by applying spray adhesive to them, followed by glitter.
- Cover votives with black lace.
Last-Minute Halloween Party Food
Let the food you serve add to the party’s décor. With these quick ideas, you won’t have to slave in the kitchen to impress your guests.
- Graveyard cupcakes: Decorate cupcakes with green or brown frosting. Place a small paper tombstone affixed to a toothpick in each cake.
- Moldy cheese balls: Roll cheese balls in a mixture of fresh herbs, like basil, parsley and chives.
- Vampire cookies: Make gingerbread men and give them fangs using white frosting.
- Halloween candy bark: Combine candy corn and trail mix with melted white chocolate. Allow the chocolate to harden on a cookie sheet and break it into smaller pieces.
- Pumpkin deviled eggs: Make deviled eggs and use red food coloring to turn the yolk mixture orange. After filling the egg whites with a nice round mound of the yolk mixture, lay a small piece of scallion at the top so it looks like a pumpkin stem.
- Glowing punch: Make punch using tonic water. When you shine a black light on the beverage, it will naturally glow.
Party Planning Toolbox
Plan ahead for your next Halloween party. Use the links below to find Halloween-themed party supplies, decorations, accessories and costumes:
- Halloween Party Themes: Our themes make decorating and party planning a cinch.
- Halloween Party Supplies: The selection includes tableware, party cups, makeup and clever accessories.
- Themed Personalized Items: Personalized Halloween items include invitations, thank-you cards, luggage tags, stickers and games.
- Halloween Party Decorating Ideas: Make your home extra eerie with decorations for every room in your home.
- Halloween Props: Go all out for your last-minute Halloween party with our animated and terrifying props.
- Halloween Accessories: Complete your Halloween look with our costume accessories.