Doesn’t a blood-red cherry tart seem like the perfect fit for a Monster High Party? An individual dessert for each of the sweet party ghouls will keep them from howling over who has the bigger slice! These cherry tarts are given an extra boost of ghoulish panache with the addition of some upright and fully edible pie dough Monster High icons. This technique is extremely simple to pull off, and makes a great showing on our Monster High dessert stand!
This post and all of the pies have been prepared by our friend Jessica a.k.a. @thepieous on Instagram.
- Cherry pie filling, or the filling of your choice
- Any kind of pre-made tart shell to go with your filling
- Pre-fab roll out crust, or the pie dough of your choice
- 1 egg white
- Vanilla extract
- An oven
- A large work surface/cutting board
- A print out of a Monster High heart, skull, lips, and boot with 1” “tabs” on card stock
- A sharp food-safe knife
- A ruler
- A parchment lined baking sheet
- Food-safe paint brushes
- Gel food coloring in black, pink, blue, and purple
- Small ceramic containers for mixing food color
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
1. Browse the internet to find Monster High Icons that you can print. Print them so they measure about 1.5″ across. Cut them out with an extra 1” tab at the bottom (as seen in the picture).
2. Using the tart shell and filling of your choice, bake a dozen tarts at least 1” deep and let cool.
3. On a clean and floured work surface, roll out a layer of pie dough and give it a generous egg wash. Roll out a second layer of dough on top of the first layer while the egg is still wet and tap down firmly. This “double dough” preparation is what will give our icons the structural integrity to stand up in the tarts without cracking or becoming soggy.
4. Using a sharp knife, cut your icons out of the “double dough” and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
5. Mix up some pink, black, blue and purple gel food coloring with a few drops of vanilla extract in small ceramic or glass containers. With a food safe paint brush, paint the base colors of the icons, beginning with the lightest colors first.
6. Allow the colors to dry between applications, finish with the black outlines. Bake the icons for 7 to 15 minutes at 400 degrees F, depending on the heat of your oven. When the non-colored areas are golden brown, you’re done!
7. After the icons have cooled fully, carefully cut slots into your tarts and insert the icons. Use your knife to push the filling back in to fill up the holes. Arrange the finished tarts on a tiered dessert stand and wait for the kudos!
Save this party idea to Pinterest!