This is a make and take party favor craft with a twist!
Who doesn’t love pipe cleaners, also called chenille stems? They’re fuzzy, furry, easy to bend and can attach to anything. So why not a pencil? Add wiggle eyes and pom-poms to create adorable animals, monsters, or in this case wacky aliens from outer space. These aliens were made before the Space Alien party to pass out as a homemade favor, but kids can easily make this craft during the party as well.
- Pipe cleaners – chenille stems
- Plastic wiggle eyes
- Glue dots
- Pencils – colored pencils look great
- Each pencil topper will require two pipe cleaners.
- If you want a fluffy alien, fold the pipe cleaner in half. Otherwise you can cut one in half.
- Coil the shorter or folded pipe cleaner (chenille stem) tightly around the pencil and slide it off the end to decorate later.
- Coil the second pipe cleaner around the pencil, leaving a straight piece at the top.
- Decorate the coiled pipe cleaner with wiggle eyes and pom-poms. Glue dots are perfect for this job.
- Now slide the decorated alien onto the top of the straight length of pipe cleaner.
- Twist the pipe cleaner to attach the two pipe cleaners together and make antennae.
- A glue dot attaching the pencil topper to the pencil keeps it secure.
Wholesale Party Supplies’ Craft Tip:
While you do not need to use two pipe cleaners, we chose to so that the aliens were springy and fun!