Carve out some time this Halloween season and invite your friends (both young and old) over for a Pumpkin Carving Party. There’s no wrong way to do it. These days you don’t even have to have super knife skills when it comes time to decorate with pumkins. The beginners can start with paint or paste and create a creature or face without having to spend anytime cleaning out the inside of the pumpkin. But for those who happen to be handy with a blade, then make sure you set aside some of those seeds for roasting! Make a new holiday tradition for friends and family that keeps creativity in focus and everyone will have a work of art to display when the trick or treaters come knocking. With our decorating and snack ideas you’ll set the stage for a creative and delicious evening filled with pumpkin guts and laughs.
We started with solid supplies and party basics for the foundation of our decor and added loads of little details to spice up the pumkin party. Here are a few sets of free printable pumpkin carving stencils if you can’t think of what to carve.
Pumpkin Carving Party Invitations
These Orange and Black Dots Personalized Invitations are perfect because they are fully customizable. Because pumpkins are just as unique as people, ask everyone to BYOP … Bring Your Own Pumpkin. This request ensures that guests are working with a size, shape and color that’s right for them as well as cutting down on your costs.
Pumpkin Carving Party Attire
The festivities are bound to get messy so help party-goers protect their clothing by providing them with aprons. Take it a step further by adorning the aprons with one of these felt pumpkin shapes from this Hanging Felt Pumpkin Decoration. Attaching an Orange and Black Dots Personalized Button to each apron, in case guests don’t know each other, will make sharing tools and supplies much easier. Finally, finish accessorizing guests with these Striped Witch Hats.
Pumpkin Carving Party Decorations
The showstopper to this party’s décor is the DIY Pumpkin Wall Hanging (get the tutorial HERE). The on-trend loop mural sets the color scheme as well as inspires guests to artfully design their own jack-o-lantern masterpieces.
- Both Solid Orange and patterned Halloween Assorted Appetizer plates are transformed into pumpkin patches by simply adding cardstock stems, leaves and vines … plus a little trimming off the tops and bottoms. TIP: To get pumpkins to stand, hot glue wooden dowels onto plate backs and insert into hay bales.
- Hay bales add a thematic fall touch as well as texture and height to the table decor.
- A Black Cheese Cloth Table Cover becomes a less eerie element when layered with a canvas drop cloth and an orange polka dot table runner.
Before the carvers get busy gutting and sawing, sit them down for some yummy thematic treats.
- Guests can pile confections on either of these layered plates … a Solid Black Dinner Plate or a Halloween Appetizer Plate.
- Sipping cider is even more scrumptious when done from a Pumpkin Plastic Cup. We folded a Lime Green Luncheon Napkin and placed it inside to mimic a pumpkin stem.
- With a little magic and some paper plates, this centerpiece comes together Boo-tifully. Our trio of paper plate props includes a ghost (made from these Ghost Shaped 7” Plates), a jack-o-lantern witch (made with some black cardstock and a witch hat cut-out from this Modern Halloween Swirl Decorating Kit) and a striped pumpkin.
- A Black Dots Table Cover makes a definite Halloween statement while the Kraft paper runner helps to tie this tabletop décor to the wall hanging backdrop.
Pumpkin Carving Party Food
Guests will love tasty thematic treats such as candy corn, orange cups embellished with cardstock “stems” and ribbon “vines”, crispy rice cereal pumpkins and jack-o-lantern sugar cookie pops. Apples and roasted pumpkin seeds are there to combat a sugar overload.
Staying on-point with our quartet of Halloween icons, offer witch hat cookies, ghost peanut-shaped cookies, candy corn cupcakes and Clear Cello Bags adorned and filled to mimic a jack-o-lantern, a witch’s broom and a ghost.
Pumpkin Carving Party Activity
Now, to the whole purpose of the evening: pumpkin decorating. Set up a pumpkin decorating station (or stations) so that guests have all the tools and supplies needed within easy reach. There are a plethora of pumpkin decorating options outside of the traditional practice of carving. To save time and cost, limit which options you will offer guests. We choose carving and stickers.
- Things to include at a carving station: knives, mini saws and pokers, scoopers, large spoons, wipeable markers, thumbtacks, masking tape, pattern templates and battery-operated candles.
- To encourage less mess, provide Plastic Buckets for carvers to sort out seeds and dump their pumpkin guts into. Orange and Black Dots Luggage Tag labels make it easy to distinguish which bucket gets what. TIP: Set out a third bucket for discarded sticker backs as a way to keep that loose trash contained.
Once everyone is finished decorating, have guests pose with their masterpieces. You could even hold a contest for which the winner receives a special age and gender appropriate prize such as a Black Rose Witch Hat, a Ghastly Ghost Airblown or a Mickey Mouse Sparkling Pumpkin.
Pumpkin Carving Party Favors
Any aged guest will enjoy setting off home with this bag full of fun. Glue cardstock face shapes to Orange Favor Bags to give them the jack-o-lantern treatment. Tie an Orange and Black Dots Personalized Sticker to the handle for a quick tag. Fill with thematic favors such as these Pumpkin Hoppers, Halloween Puzzle Cubes, Orange Swirl Lollipops, and Plastic Pumpkin Cups.