Make your party pop with this super easy tutorial for making Soda Pop Cupcakes.
This might be hard to believe but the recipe before you is actually recommended when you’re trying to watch your fat content. Plus, it will probably leave you wondering, is that it? Really? Just a box cake mix and can of soda? The answer is yes, that’s it! I can’t tell you the number of compliments I’ve received every time I bake these cupcakes. In fact, you can use a normal size cake pan and serve it by the slice if you so choose. That means the options are endless as you’re planning for your next party.
- 1 box cake (any flavor)
- 1 12oz. can of soda (any flavor)
- Mixing bowl and whisk
- Cupcake pan and liners
- Frosting (any flavor) – optional
1. Preheat oven according to the directions provided on the back of the box cake you selected.
2. Empty box cake mix into mixing bowl.
3. Pour 12oz. can of soda into mixing bowl.
3a. That’s it. Do NOT add any other ingredients such as water, oil or eggs even though the box tells you to do so.
4. Whisk rapidly for 1-2 minutes.
5. Line cupcake pan with liners.
6. Pour batter into cupcake liners about 2/3 full
7. Bake for the number of minutes as indicated on the back of the box cake you selected. The number of minutes may differ if you opt to bake a cake instead of individual cupcakes.
8. Allow to cool and then frost and sprinkle!
And now, I leave you with some cake + soda recommendations. Some friends and I all took a combo and prepared these to share one night. It was so much fun and so easy to do! In fact, we now joke that we are “cupcake scientists”. Who knows, maybe this could be the next big activity at your Science-themed party.
Strawberry cake mix + Sprite Zero
Orange cake mix + Sprite Zero
Chocolate cake mix + Coca Cola
Vanilla cake mix + Strawberry soda
White cake mix + Grape soda
Rainbow cake mix + Sprite Zero
Gluten-free cake mix + Seltzer – I haven’t tried this one yet but if you do, let me know what you think!